Phonological Awareness in Action
Everything teachers need to know about this magic ingredient for growing great readers and writers. I've been busy putting this workshop together and it's finally ready to go. I can't wait to share it with you!
At the end of this inspiring day of learning you will:
- Understand what research into literacy acquisition tells us: exactly how phonological awareness (PA) enables children to learn to decode and encode words, and build a sight word vocabulary.
- Appreciate that ensuring strong PA skills prevents many reading difficulties from ever occurring.
- Be familiar with a developmental progression to take students through - differentiate instruction to give each child the next skill they need, in the right order.
- Have a simple assessment tool to determine exactly which PA skills your students already have, and what they need to learn.
- Know exactly how to teach component PA skills, and how to scaffold children to apply them to reading and writing.
- Have the resources you need to go away and teach PA skills tomorrow with your own students.
There are more topics in the works, too - phonics, vocabulary, early years literacy development... check back soon!
Vibrant Vocabulary - Te Kuiti
We know that children’s vocabulary size is a major predictor of educational and vocational success. We also know about the “Word Gap” reflecting the differences in children’s oral language skills on school entry - some children begin school knowing 15,000 less words than their peers.
You will leave this hands-on session equipped with at least 10 ways to build your students’ vocabulary in class. These strategies are from the Elklan “Speech & Language Support for 5-11 years” PLD course.
Thursday 30 July
3:30 - 5:30pm
Te Kuiti Primary School
Cost: FREE to local schools, with grateful thanks to the RT:Lit service.
Please register your attendance by Friday 24 July, 2020
Elklan Speech & Language Support for 5-11 yrs
Taupo - 4 days
Full 20hr Speech & Language Support course.
This course is specifically for Primary Teachers, RTLBs, RT:Lit, and Teacher Aides. It provides practical strategies to develop the oral language, communication skills & learning of all children, particularly those with language, speech and communication needs. The course is full of practical ideas which are directly related to the classroom and curriculum. Learners complete a portfolio in addition to the workshop sessions, where they try out concepts and strategies, and evaluate the impact on students.
Term 1-2, 2020
Teachers, Teacher Aides, SENCO, Leaders, RT:Lit, RTLBs - All primary school age levels.
- Thursday 5 March, 08:30 - 15:30
- Thursday 26 March, 08:30 - 15:30
- Thursday 7 May, 08:30 - 13:00
- Thursday 21 May, 08:30 - 13:00
20 Parata St, Two Mile Bay, Taupo
$750 +GST ($862.50)
Bookings closed - course in progress.
Presented by EDconnect and Talk Tree SLT.
Oral language difficulties are often hidden, but impact hugely on learning and literacy.
In this workshop you’ll learn:
- a simple way to pinpoint specific difficulties with oral language so you can give targeted support
- a valuable tool to adapt ANY topic or lesson to accommodate all learners from students with learning difficulties, right through to gifted and talented (Universal Design for Learning).
This is a highly interactive workshop, suitable for Early Childhood through to Secondary educators. It forms part of the Elklan Speech & Language Support in the Classroom course.
If you have students who struggle with listening and speaking, you won't want to miss this workshop!
When: Wednesday 19 February, 3:45-7:00pm
Where: Pukekohe North School, 57 Princess Street, Pukekohe
Cost: $125+GST - includes 1 assessment pack for each school.