About Talk Tree Speech & Language Therapy
Nice to meet you, thanks for taking the time to find out more about Talk Tree.
I like to work with clients, their families, and schools or care settings to maximise communication ability, by using evidence-based approaches. I try to make sessions as interesting and engaging as possible. I have a passion for sharing knowledge through professional education.
I have experience helping people with many different challenges, for example:
- Speech delay / unclear speech
- Head injury
- Developmental delay
- Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Down Syndrome
- Cerebral Palsy
- Head and neck cancer
- Hearing impairment
- Reading and writing difficulties
- Neurological conditions, such as Motor Neurone Disease, Parkinson’s Disease
- Eating, drinking and swallowing difficulties
Since training at the University of Newcastle, Australia, I have worked with adults in hospital and community settings, and with children of all ages in New Zealand, Australia, and Ireland. In 2013 I returned to New Zealand and launched Talk Tree SLT, based in Te Kuiti, North King Country.
- Elklan Tutor – licensed to tutor Elklan communication support courses for educators and parents.
- Hanen It Takes Two to Talk – licensed to tutor the Hanen course for parents and supporters of children who are late talkers.
- ADOS – Autism Diagnostic Observation Scale – trained to conduct this standardised assessment as part of a full ASD diagnostic assessment.
- DIR / FloorTime – completed several introductory level courses
- EarlyBird – licensed to tutor the NAS EarlyBird course for parents and supporters of children newly diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder.
- Picture Exchange Communication System (PECS) trained
- Alison Bagnall’s VoiceCraft
- Lee Silverman Voice Therapy – a therapy program to improve voice and speech production for people with Parkinson’s Disease.
- Post-Graduate Competency in Dysphagia (Swallowing impairment) – Maggie-Lee Huckabee, University of Canterbury
Director, Speech & Language Therapist
- Bachelor of Speech Pathology (Hons. I)
- Member of New Zealand Speech & Language Therapists Association (NZSTA)